The 2017 Food For A Woman’s Heart luncheon is in the books. The annual event focuses on women learning about their heart health, how to recognize problems and how to avoid them if they can. Activities include live music, browsing vendor booths, mini spa services for a bit of pampering, an exciting bag raffle with incredible prizes, a silent auction, and of course an incredible sit down luncheon prepared by our friends at Touch Restaurant. These activities along with information and encouragement by our speaker Dr. Julia Flax as well as inspiration from our 3 “Champions” who represent the thousands of women in our community who struggle with negative heart health issues round out a wonderful, informative and inspirational afternoon. This year we saw net proceeds over $20,000.00, ensuring many more CoxHealth patients will benefit from state of the art services including education, preventative services, testing, therapy and more!
For women, heart health is so important. We now know that:
- Cardiovascular diseases and stroke cause 1 in 3 women’s deaths each year.
- 90% of women have one or more risk factors for heart disease or stroke.
- Women have a higher lifetime risk of stroke than men.
- 80% of heart disease and stroke events may be prevented by lifestyle changes and education.
- Fewer women than men survive their first heart attack.
- The symptoms of heart attack can be different in women vs. men, and are often misunderstood.
- Hispanic women are likely to develop heart disease 10 years earlier than Caucasian women.
- Cardiovascular diseases are the leading cause of death for Hispanic women.
- Cardiovascular diseases are the leading cause of death for African-American women. Of African-American women ages 20 and older, 48.3% have cardiovascular disease.
We want to thank our sponsors for investing in the mission and help in providing vital services to our community:
- Presenting Sponsor: Ameriprise Financial, Paula Dougherty
- Baron Design
- Ferrell-Duncan Clinic Foundation
- Varicose Vein Clinic at Ferrell Duncan
- James Maddox and Leah Cook
- Audio Acoustics
- Grove Spa
- Rose Amung Thorns
We hope to see you all next February at Food For A Woman’s Heart 2018.